I’m starting to get really good at kneading dough. I don’t just make dog biscuits; I make breads and cookies for myself as well.
I’ve come to realize that certain ingredients tend to create a dough that is remarkably easier to knead and roll out than others.
Fortunately for me (and Banjo), a couple of those ingredients are found in this scrumptious dog treat recipe — peanut butter and applesauce.
Peanut Butter and Applesauce Dog Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup peanut butter (no toxic xylitol)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Heat your oven to 350 F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except olive oil.
- Add as much olive oil as needed to create a dough that holds its shape.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to ¼-inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes and place them on a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Makes about 4 dozen small cookies.
Because I’m not baking for an entire classroom of puppies, I decided to just make a quarter batch of these cookies. The recipe yielded 1 dozen tasty, bite-sized cookies that Banjo happily ate (and promptly begged for more).
You can keep leftover biscuits in a container for up to 1 week.
Adapted from The Lazy Pit Bull.
Don’t Miss These Great Recipes From Petful:
* * *
Get Free Recall Alerts! Sign up now to Petful’s twice-monthly email newsletter, and you’ll also get our FREE pet food recall alerts. You’ll be among the very first to know about recalls. Click here to sign up now (it’s free).