Maker: Sunshine Mills, Inc.
Cause: Elevated levels of Vitamin D
Announcement: FDA announcement dated Nov. 27, 2018 (archived here)
What was recalled: The following dry dog foods with best by dates of Nov. 1, 2018 – Nov. 8, 2019:
- 14 lb. and 28 lb. bags of Evolve Puppy Formula (Chicken & Rice), UPC numbers 0-73657-00862-0 and 0-73657-00863-7
- 40 lb. bags of Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy Formula, UPC numbers 0-70155-10566-0 and 0-70155-10564-0
- 3 lb., 16 lb. and 30 lb. bags of Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe, UPC numbers 0-73657-00873-6, 0-73657-00874-3 and 0-73657-00875-0
According to the recall announcement, these dog foods were distributed in U.S. retail stores as well as internationally.
No other Evolve, Sportsman’s Pride or Triumph products are affected by this recall.
Customers who have purchased any of the affected products should stop feeding them and return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund. You may also contact Sunshine Mills at (800) 705-2111 during business hours or by email.
This is just the latest in a dizzying number of dog food recalls this month over concerns about elevated Vitamin D levels.
The full list of Vitamin D related recalls now includes:
What all of these recalled foods have in common so far seems to be:
- All are dry dog foods — no wet foods, cat foods or treats
- All seem to contain both chicken as a primary ingredient and either rice or chickpeas
- Associated with either Sunshine Mills or Whitebridge Pet Brands/Nutrisca
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
There were more recalls in 2018. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)